Go to minutes index or next meeting

Minutes of the Board of Trustees

October 24, 2000

Members Present: Marshall Davidson, Garnett Fairchild, Sam Hatcher, Alice
Howard, Sabra Jacobs, Don Johnson, Bill May, Robert Perry, John Rosenberg,
Delmas Saunders, Jim Spencer

The meeting was called to order at 7:05pm.

The minutes from the previous Board meeting on September 26 were distributed and approved as presented.

In our Treasurer's, David Hereford, absence, President, Sam Hatcher read the Treasurer's report. The current ending balance is $10,555.61. There is also a balance of $1310.98 in a separate Archive Fund. Robert Perry made a motion to accept the Treasurer's report and Don Johnson seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Old Business:
John Rosenberg spoke with Bill May regarding finalizations of the parking lot deed for the May House museum. However, it was learned that the May family is not interested in signing a deed to the parking lot but would prefer to sign consecutive 10-year leases for the property as long as
the May House was a functioning museum. John agreed to re-do the paper work to reflect the May family's decision. Robert Perry made the motion for the City of Prestonsburg to accept the parking lot lease offer by the May family. Marshall Davidson seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

John Rosenberg also brought up the issue of the May family signing a trust which would mandate the City of Prestonsburg to continue the upkeep of the May House property as long as it was a functioning museum. It is expected that the May family will sign this document.

Robert Perry mentioned the monument which will hold all previous donors to the May House reconstruction project. He and Delmas Saunders are expecting to raise the $5400 needed for its construction.

Sam Hatcher reported on a special meeting with Kevin Hereford from the Horn Foundation and several Board members to discuss wallpaper and furniture for the May House earlier this month. Mr. Hereford will purchase the agreed upon items and will arrange for their transportation and installation at the May House.

John Rosenberg asked if the ISTEA construction sign in the front of the May House could be torn down as the reconstruction job on the house has been largely completed. Several Board members agreed and Sam Hatcher agreed to check on its demolition with the City of Prestonsburg.

New Business:
Robert Perry reported that Frank Fitzpatrick is interested in including the May House as part of a historical site signage project. He asked for our monetary contributions for one or more signs indicating various local Civil War battle sites including the May House involvement and Ivy Mountain. Board members asked Bob to invite Mr. Fitzpatrick to our next Board meeting
in November for further discussion of the project.

Sam Hatcher proposed that the Board approve at least $5,000 of our General Fund to be earmarked for summer employment for someone to keep the May House open at least 20 hours per week from May through August. It was suggested that besides the paid employee, there would still have to be Member volunteers to assist the paid employee with tours, etc. Don Johnson made the motion to allocate $5,000 from our General Fund to the summer employment
of a tour guide/curator for the May House. Delmas Saunders seconded the motion and it passed unanimously.

Don Johnson brought a New York Times newspaper dated from January 15, 1862 which included several interesting articles regarding local Civil War skirmishes. The paper was donated by the Humphrey Marshall Camp of our local Sons of the Confederate Veterans and will be on display in the May House.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:20pm.

Respectfully Submitted,

Sabra Jacobs