1936 View of May Farm
Taken by Tress Francis in 1936, this photograph shows the May Farm as it looked back in the 1930s. The back of the house is barely visible in the middle distance (marked with an X). In 1936 the highway which runs behind the house today had not yet been built. When Samuel May owned it, the May Farm covered more than 400 acres. His ferry, saw mill, and grist mill were located a quarter mile west of the house at the mouth of Abbott Creek, on the west side of the Big Sandy River. In 1842, facing bankruptcy, Samuel was forced to sell the farm to his brother Thomas, a Pike County farmer. Thomas subsequently split the farm in half and deeded it to two of his sons, William James May and Samuel May.

Return to Floyd County Album

© 1997 DMF Software