May House in 1980s
This shows how the May House looked during the 1980s, when Mary May, widow of Elijah B. May and mother of Bill May and E. B. May, Jr., was still living there. Mary died in 1987 and is buried with her husband in the May Cemetery. The campaign to restore the May House began in 1952, when Josephine Fields published an article in the Floyd County Times entitled `135-Year-Old Home Here Was Wilderness Mansion.` Another early advocate of the cause was Tress May Francis, daughter of Floyd County Judge Beverly May and granddaughter of William James May, the second owner of the house. Mrs. Francis was the first Floyd Countian to advocate the restoration of the house and begin preserving its history.

Return to Floyd County Album

© 1997 DMF Software